Profile: New beginnings for Norwegian freshman Aaron Kippe

Sierra Nevada University freshman Aaron Kippe gets ready to make a pass as a Follo S.K. soccer club defender in Oslo, Norway.

Grant Montoya, Reporter

Attending university 5,000 miles away from his hometown of Oslo, Norway, the comforts of familiar scenery and the awes of nature can bring some relief for Sierra Nevada University freshman Aaron Kippe. However, in the interlude of what would be the next four-year long stage of his life, the beauty of Lake Tahoe and his undying passion for the sport of soccer is all the 18-year-old had to grasp when he arrived to campus in August.
He chose to come to SNU because he liked the soccer coach, and the scenery in Tahoe reminded him of home. When the semester began, orientation was a chance for students to get to know the people and faculty they would be close with. But, due to sports mandates, Kippe was not able to attend. The SNU soccer team began practice Aug. 18, which meant Kippe had to quarantine beforehand.
“I learned I had to quarantine for a week before doing anything because I came from a different country,” he said. “I also wasn’t able to do orientation and I feel like I missed out.”
On top of this, adjusting to a different culture’s food palate is daunting. Kippe noted how the majority of local restaurants and takeout places provide appetizing, yet generally unhealthy options.
“Back in Norway, fresh fish and salads are what I mostly ate. It is hard finding food around here that isn’t fried or greatly preserved in some way,” he said.
These could have been setbacks for the business administration and management major, but there’s always that inner, driving force that demands his attention. And, for Kippe, it’s always been soccer. He said he loves soccer because he creates bonds with his teammates and makes great memories with them.
“Watching my favorite players and clubs perform on the biggest fields in front of crowds of more than 100,000 people and witnessing dramatic moments gives me motivation to play in front of fans as well, which is why I love the sport so much,” he said. “I want to be able to create memories and share it with others who love the sport as well.”
One should know better than to assume anyone on campus doesn’t have some vigor in their mind and spirit. But, through Kippe’s experience, we can be sure that the cure for dealing with the little nuances is simply doing what you love. Make your crutch the very thing you are chasing after.
Kippe had advice for new students in similar circumstances as him.
“Believe in yourself and all that you are,” he said. “Know that there is something inside of you that is greater than every obstacle.”