SNU snowboard team grows by 10 members

Maggie Galloway, Editor

Before COVID-19 hit, the Sierra Nevada University snowboard team may have been best known for partying the hardest, doing the least amount of work, and throwing down the hardest at competitions. What started as a two-week break from school in the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020 turned into all competitions being cancelled, online school, and lack of structure for the team.This break was a mixed blessing. It gave head coach Ty Casey time to revamp the whole program and bring in new athletes for winter of 2021.
“This year we have 10 new members on the snowboard team from all over the United States, bringing the team to 26 athletes,” Casey said. “We also have a few additional walk-ons this year that I was able to ride with during the 2020 season.”
Unlike previous seasons where the team considered a workout to be the walk from Rookies to the Village Pub, the team is meeting twice a week for strength and agility training with snowboarding legend and current SNU free ski coach, Bud Keene. Keene coached snowboarder Shaun White and many other Olympians for multiple years. “Bud definitely got brought in for his experience in the industry,” Casey said. “I wanted everyone on the snowboard team to also benefit from his insights, so we combined the two programs.”
SNU has more than 20 national titles with USCSA, and Casey and Keene hope to build on that success. “We’re very excited for this upcoming season and nationals in Lake Placid,” Casey said. “With the numbers and talent we have on the team, combined with a structured training schedule, we’re hoping to solidify SNU as the best competitive snowboard team in the country.”

New snowboard team members:

Drew Monson

Name: Drew Monson
Age: 19
Year: Sophomore
Hometown: Anacortes, Washington
Home mountain: Mt. Baker
What are you the most excited for this season? Stoked to live close to the mountain and ride just about every day.

Alexandra Pierce

Name: Alexandra Pierce
Age: 20
Year in School: Sophomore
Hometown: Auburn, California
Home Mountain: Palisades Tahoe
What are you the most excited for this season? Riding with the homies and progressing.

Mattea Anderson

Name: Mattea Anderson
Age: 19
Year in School: Freshman
Hometown: Show Low, Arizona
Home Mountain: Sunrise Park and Resort
What are you the most excited for this season? Stoked to improve and compete in Tahoe

Beck Otteson

Name: Beck Douglas Otteson
Age: 20
Year in school: Sophomore
Hometown: Snohomish, Washington
Home Mountain: Stevens Pass and Mt. Baker.
What are you the most excited for this season? I’m excited to ride with a crew who is just down for the stoke, and I’m hyped to be living right next to the mountains.

Darcy Saint (left)

Name: Darcy Saint
Year in School: Sophomore
Age: 19
Hometown: Rescue, California
Home Mountain: Sierra at Tahoe
What are you the most excited for this season?: Making new friends.

Cole McCullough

Name: Cole McCullough
Age: 18
Year in School: Freshman
Hometown: South Bend, Indiana
Home Mountain: Swiss Valley/ Copper Mountain
What are you the most excited for this season?: I am most stoked to rip with the homies here at SNU and hopefully I can get absolutely pitted this winter out in the backcountry.

Ben Cruz-Vernengo

Name: Ben Cruz-Vernengo
Age: 18
Year in School: Freshman
Hometown: San Francisco, California
Home Mountain: Alpine Meadows
What are you the most excited for this season? Hopefully a year of good snow.

Kaiya Quintieri

Name: Kaiya Quintieri
Age: 18
Year in School: Freshman
Hometown: Reno
Home Mountain: Northstar
What are you the